The Value of Human Connection in Higher Education
In the post-pandemic era, prospective students redefine higher education expectations, emphasizing human connection. Engaging with current students, alumni, staff, and faculty is vital for these meaningful connections.
- Engaging with the University Community:
- Interactions with these groups offer insights into campus life, academic programs, and personal growth opportunities.
- Speaking with current students provides authentic perspectives on campus life, influencing 75% of applicants, according to the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- Alumni interactions offer insights into post-graduation journeys, with 92% of applicants considering them essential, per the Alumni Research Foundation.
- Prospective students seek guidance from staff and faculty to gauge support and personalized attention.
- Finding Community:
- Today’s higher education emphasizes institutions fostering belonging and community, impacting academic success and well-being.
- Personal Development:
- Applicants seek institutions encouraging self-discovery, growth, and talent nurturing, with 86% prioritizing personal development, per the Higher Education Research Institute.
Prospective students desire genuine human connection, a sense of belonging, and personal growth. Engaging with the university community helps applicants make well-informed decisions aligned with their values. Institutions must create environments empowering students to thrive academically, personally, and socially. Embracing community and acceptance shapes future leaders and fosters transformative college experiences.